Re: IBM Desktar disk problem?

From: Anton Altaparmakov (aia21@cantab.net)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 16:05:20 EST

At 21:21 05/07/02, Tomas Konir wrote:
>On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Matthias Andree wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 05 Jul 2002, Tomas Konir wrote:
> >
> > > hi i have similar problem.
> > > No dead disks, but after two days testing tcq patches (on 2.4). I
> > > got the two ATA errors (smartctl said).
> >
> > *shrug* FreeBSD should have eaten some of those drives as well, it has
> > been offering hw.ata.tags="1" to enable DMA QUEUED for a while now.
> >
> > And yes, my deathstar DTLA307045 still works without a single broken
> > block, but never used TCQ beyond booting 2.5.17 once (no LVM -> not
> > useful for me).
> >
> > Another DTLA307045 died some days ago, it has never seen TCQ.
> >

>I have no broken blocks. Only two errors logged in S.M.A.R.T.
>I have no S.M.A.R.T. errors for one year ago. And after use TCQ there are
>two errors after two days. Is is normal ?
>Curently i not believe new IBM disks and TCQ. I'll wait for better disks
>and stable TCQ.

You should update your firmware regardless of using TCQ because the errors
you experienced have nothing to do with TCQ but a lot to do with buggy
firmware. See what I found written about the firmware update on this
webpage (Phil Randal posted this URL earlier on in this thread):
         http://www.geocities.com/dtla_update/

---snip---
While S.M.A.R.T. offline scan running in background, a read error could
cause a potential failure. This is corrected with current microcode.

(A5AA/A6AA) will detect and prevent application specific usage patterns
that cause excessive dwell times in particular areas.
---snip---

Best regards,

Anton

--
   "I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown