Re: [Bug] 2.5.25 build as one user and install as root

From: Alessandro Suardi (alessandro.suardi@oracle.com)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 16:25:32 EST

Keith Owens wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Jul 2002 13:28:06 +0200,
> Alessandro Suardi <alessandro.suardi@oracle.com> wrote:
>
>>Keith Owens wrote:
>>
>>>2.5.25 existing build system has a nasty bug. Build as one user then
>>>make install as root. It does supurious recompiles of some files and
>>>leaves them owned as root. All of these files are now owned by root
>>>and cause problems when the build user wants to rebuild.
>>
>>Doesn't happen for me.
>

> Check include/linux/compile.h after building as yourself and after
> installing as root. make install goes
>
> bzImage -> setup.o -> compile.h -> scripts/mkcompile_h ->
> #define LINUX_COMPILE_BY \"`whoami`\"
>
> whoami is different when you compile as one user then install as
> another.

Hey, give me some credit :)

[asuardi@dolphin linux]$ /bin/pwd
/usr/local/src/linux-2.5.25/include/linux
[asuardi@dolphin linux]$ cat compile.h
/* This file is auto generated, version 1 */
#define UTS_MACHINE "i386"
#define UTS_VERSION "#1 Sat Jul 6 02:27:10 CEST 2002"
#define LINUX_COMPILE_TIME "02:27:10"
#define LINUX_COMPILE_BY "asuardi"
#define LINUX_COMPILE_HOST "dolphin"
#define LINUX_COMPILE_DOMAIN ""
#define LINUX_COMPILER "gcc version 3.1"

I'm saying "doesn't happen for me" because it doesn't happen.

I've been compiling kernel as non-root (and well, of course
  installing as root) since 1996.

I'll admit I checked only the files I cut'n'pasted last mail,
  well let's be honest then...

[asuardi@dolphin linux]$ /bin/pwd
/usr/local/src/linux-2.5.25
[asuardi@dolphin linux]$ find . -user root -print
[asuardi@dolphin linux]$

See, *no* root-owned files here. Usual process is

  * save previous kernel's .config
  * zap previous kernel tree
  * untar the previous kernel tree in /usr/local/src
  * patch -p1 it with current kernel patch
  * create new kernel tarball
  * copy over saved .config
  * make oldconfig
  * make dep; make clean; make bzImage; make modules
  * (wait for next kernel patch ;)

Ciao,

--alessandro

  "my actions make me beautiful / and dignify the flesh"
                 (R.E.M., "Falls to Climb")