Re: 2.4.19pre10 DevFS + LVM OOPS

From: Riley Williams (rhw@InfraDead.Org)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 17:43:45 EST

Hi Fabio.

> this happend creating a new a lv with the command lvcreate -L512M
> -ntest system It did 3 times in a row then it worked again. What was
> strange is that I was in one dir and unfortunalty I don't remember
> which and it was crashing. I changed dir and then it was working. In
> the first instance I didn't thought about taking notes but atleast I
> have a full trace (the machine didn't hang or reboot... it is still
> alive 100%).

This may be completely off-track but I've seen it cause wierd problems
in the past, so worth checking - was the directory you were in when the
machine crashed one that still existed as far as the file system was
concerned?

To test this, try the following...

        # cd /tmp
        # mkdir X
        # cd X
        # mv ../X ../Y
        # cd `pwd`
        bash: /tmp/X: No such file or directory
        #

...and then perform the test. As far as the test is concerned, the
current directory is /tmp/X but, as shown above, the file system reports
that the said directory doesn't exist, and it's not hard to work out
that you're actually in /tmp/Y instead.

Best wishes from Riley.