Re: ATAPI + cdwriter problem

From: jbradford@dial.pipex.com
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 06:26:23 EST

Hi,

> Dont punish performance and do not connect drives on the same channel
> if you can, the same goes for cd and cdrw (if cd -> cdrw of course)...

I don't think he's got much choice with all those devices :-)

> Also there was some problem recently with running 2 ATAPI devices on the
> same channel.

I generally prefer to use EIDE for hard disks, and SCSI for other peripherals, (and disks which are for, e.g. databases, but certainly not for boot disks, or general usage disks).

I tend to find 'silly' problems occuring with ATAPI devices, such as a motherboard/ATAPI CD-ROM drive combination that would never boot from the CD, because the BIOS reset the bus just before booting, and the CD-ROM would respond 'not ready'. Generally SCSI peripherals tend to have a bit more thought put in to their design.

John.