Re: BKL removal

From: Robert Love (rml@mvista.com)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 16:12:55 EST

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 14:00, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

> This is an ugly aspect. But AFAICT the most that's needed to clean it
> up is an explicit release before potentially sleeping.

Yep that is all we need... remove the release_kernel_lock() and
reacquire_kernel_lock() from schedule and do it explicitly everywhere it
is needed.

The problem is, it is needed in a _lot_ of places. Mostly instances
where the lock is held across something that may implicitly sleep.

Places that call schedule() explicitly holding the BKL are rare enough
we can probably handle them. I have a patch that does so (thus turning
all cond_resched() calls into no-ops with the preemptive kernel -- my
goal). The other implicit situations are near impossible to handle.

Summary is, I would love to do things like dismantle the BKLs odd-ball
features... cleanly and safely. Good luck ;)

        Robert Love