Re: [2.4 BUFFERING BUG] (was [BUG] 2.4 VM sucks. Again)

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@zip.com.au)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 03:05:45 EST

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> hi
>
> I've been using the patch below from Andrew for some weeks now, sometimes
> under quite heavy load, and find it quite stable.

Wish we knew why. I've tried many times to reproduce the problem
which you're seeing. With just two gigs of memory, buffer_heads
really cannot explain anything. It's weird.

We discussed this in Ottawa - I guess Andrea will add the toss-the-buffers
code on the read side (basically the filemap.c stuff). That may
be sufficient, but without an understanding of what is going on,
it is hard to predict.