Kernel config etiquette

From: jbradford@dial.pipex.com
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 05:52:02 EST

Hi,

I'm trying to write a patch to sync the disks on my laptop when an NMI with id 20 occurs, which happens when the battery runs out, or you turn it off, (I.E. at the moment it beeps, saying "Dazed and confused", then 1 second later powers down. I want to use that 1 sec to sync the disk in case the battery runs out while I'm just sitting at the command line).

I'm adding code to /arch/i386/kernel/traps.c to deal with this and, <luser_question>it suddenly occurred to me that I'd need to add an "Enable T4500 syncing on powerdown Y/N" to the kernel config. I've read the F.A.Q. and can't work out if there is a standard etiquette to be followed when doing this</luser_question> can somebody advise me, please?

Cheers,
John.