strange IP stack behavior

From: Bloch, Jack (Jack.Bloch@icn.siemens.com)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 09:41:43 EST

I am running Red Hat 7.2 (Kernel Version 2.4.7-10) and have the following
situation. I am connecting via a LAN switch to approximately 30-40 other
devices. This is an internal network with no external connections. I know
the MAC address of each device that I am communicating with. The
communication is accomplished via UDP/IP. During my application
initialization, I use the SIOCSARP IOCTL to force permanent cache entries
for the devices that I communicate with. The problem that I see is that
sporadically, when I want to transmit the first message to a device, the
destination MAC address is 0. All subsequent messages contain the correct
MAC address.

Prior to sending any messages, I display the ARP cache and all entries are
there. Does anybody have any idea why this happens? Please CC me directly on
any responses.

Jack Bloch
Siemens Carrier Networks
e-mail : jack.bloch@icn.siemens.com