Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ext3 vs Reiserfs benchmarks

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@clusterfs.com)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 12:36:49 EST

On Jul 12, 2002 11:26 -0600, kwijibo@zianet.com wrote:
> I compared reiserfs with notails and with tails to
> ext3 in journaled mode about a month ago.
> Strangely enough the machine that was being
> built is eventually slated for a mail machine. I used
> postmark to simulate the mail environment.
>
> Benchmarks are available here:
> http://labs.zianet.com
>
> Let me know if I am missing any info on there.

Yes, I saw this benchmark when it was first posted. It isn't clear
from the web pages that you are using data=journal for ext3. Note
that this is only a benefit for sync I/O workloads like mail and
NFS, but not other types of usage. Also, for sync I/O workloads
you can get a big boost by using an external journal device.

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas Dilger