IDE/ATAPI in 2.5

From: Joerg Schilling (schilling@fokus.gmd.de)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 14:25:30 EST

H.P. Anvin wrote:

>Please consider deprecating or removing ide-floppy/ide-tape/ide-cdrom
>and treat all ATAPI devices as what they really are -- SCSI over IDE.
>It is a source of no ending confusion that a Linux system will not
>write CDs to an IDE CD-writer out of the box, for the simple reason
>that cdrecord needs access to the generic packet interface, which is
>only available in the nonstandard ide-scsi configuration.

Thank you for this thread!

libscg now has 5 different SCSI transport interface implementations
only for Linux.

There are still problems like e.g. USB which not really usable.

>There really seems to be no decent reason to treat ATAPI devices as
>anything else. I understand the ide-* drivers contain some
>workarounds for specific devices, but those really should be moved to
>their respective SCSI drivers anyway -- after all, manufacturers
>readily slap IDE or SCSI interfaces on the same devices anyway.

>Note that this is specific to ATAPI devices. ATA hard drives are
>another matter entirely.

A reasonable idea would be to make the ATA driver a SCSI HBAdriver and
in case that there is a need for pure ATA (e.g. Hard disks) there should
be a second interface for a ATA driver stack.

Please keep me on the CC: I am not on the list.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1
       schilling@fokus.gmd.de (work) chars I am J"org Schilling