Re: Removal of pci_find_* in 2.5

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 23:41:56 EST

Matt_Domsch@Dell.com wrote:
> In both these cases, the pci_find_device() functions use an explict ordering
> to make it far more likely we can still boot the system after adding new
> hardware. Unless/until there's a method for telling the kernel/modules that
> a particular device is the boot device (ala BIOS EDD 3.0 if vendors were to
> get around to implementing such) explict ordering in the drivers is the only
> way we can build complex storage solutions and boot reliably.

IMO what devices are boot devices is a policy decision. Depending on
pci_find_device() use in a driver's kernel code, or kernel link
ordering, is simply hard-coding something that should really be in
userspace. Depending on pci_find_device logic / link order to
still-boot-the-system after adding new hardware sounds like an
incredibly fragile hope, not a reliable system users can trust.

        Jeff