Re: Linux 2.4.19-rc1-ac3

From: Peter Osterlund (petero2@telia.com)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 13:52:22 EST

Dominik Brodowski <devel@brodo.de> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 05:19:54PM +0200, Peter Osterlund wrote:
> > Dominik Brodowski <devel@brodo.de> writes:
> >
> > I tried speedstep but it didn't work because of this check in
> > speedstep_detect_processor:
> >
> > My cpu has model == 1 and mask == 2.
> Strange: According to the Intel docs (24919923.pdf and 25072104.pdf) as of
> June 2002, all P4-Ms have models have model "2" and mask "4", and none have
> model "1" and mask "2". What does /proc/cpuinfo say? And are you really sure
> it is a speedstep-capable P4-M?
>
> I'm really doubtful of that, as the MSR_EBC_FREQUENCY_ID didn't change a bit
> while trying speedstep transitions:

No, I think I was mistaken. The manual is for more models than the
specific one I own. Sorry about the confusion. Here is /proc/cpuinfo
anyway:

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 1
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 1694.536
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips : 3381.65

> How old is it? Fresh-out-of-the-factory? Then there might, just might be
> some update to the P4 specifications not yet included in the documentation.
> And please send me a /proc/cpuinfo, just to make sure. And, BTW, have you
> tried ACPI and its "performance state" interface?

I bought it about a month ago. I have only tested ACPI briefly.
Activating it in a standard 2.4 kernel doesn't work very well (battery
status not available, lots of errors in dmesg during boot.) I haven't
tested the latest patches from Intel yet.

--
Peter Osterlund - petero2@telia.com
http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340