Re: Pentium IV cache line size

From: Mark Hahn (hahn@physics.mcmaster.ca)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 15:58:11 EST

> I think the patch is correct and should be applied.

P4 SMP alignment should be 128B, and that seems to be the main
use of this constant. I'd *love* to see the spurious "L1" removed -
in fact, there's already SMP_CACHE_BYTES, which should be used instead.
maybe just CACHE_SHIFT/BYTES, since alignment is used for uni, too.

perhaps a janitor/trivial patch for 2.5?

> >From Pentium IV, System Programming Guide, Section 9.1, Page 9-2,
> Table 9-1. Order # 245472

dueling references! mine are from the p4 and xeon opt guide. page 7-9:
Key Practices of Thread Synchronization:
        - Place each synchronization variable alone,
        separated by 128 byte or in a separate cache line.

see also table 1.1. I'm not sure it matters whether you consider lines 128B
or 64B; the fact that cacheline reads always happen at 128B is probably
the dominant concern. table 1.1 page 7-18 ("placement of shared
synchonization variable") repeats this.