Re: apm power_off on smp

From: Kelledin (kelledin+LKML@skarpsey.dyndns.org)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 17:30:08 EST

> APM's poweroff function is explicitly turned off on smp systems by
> default. Could someone tell me please what is the reason for that?

(as of kernel 2.4.18) pretty much *all* APM functions are disabled on SMP
kernels--the simple reason being that APM isn't SMP safe, and making it SMP
safe is not a trivial task.

If all you want is a soft power-off, you're better off using ACPI (assuming
your system supports it). Since this is probably a desktop (and not a
laptop), I doubt there's much else you want in the way of power management...

--
Kelledin
"If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost