Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ext3 vs Reiserfs benchmarks

From: Sam Vilain (sam@vilain.net)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 03:26:03 EST

Dax Kelson <dax@gurulabs.com> wrote:

> > Any suggestions or comments appreciated.
> Thanks for the feedback. Look for more testing from us soon addressing
> the suggestions brought up.

One more thing - can I just make the comment that testing freshly formatted filesystems is not going to show up ext2's real weaknesses, that happen to old filesystems - particularly those where the filesystem has been allowed to fill up.

I timed *15 minutes* for a system I admin to unlink a single 1G file on a fairly old ext2 filesystem the other day (perhaps ext3 would have improved this, I'm not sure). It took 30 minutes to scan a snort log directory log on ext2, but less than 2 minutes on reiser - and only 3 seconds once it was in the buffercache.

You are testing for a mail server - how many mailboxes are in your spool directory for the tests? Try it with about five to ten thousand mailboxes and see how your results vary.

--
   Sam Vilain, sam@vilain.net     WWW: http://sam.vilain.net/
    7D74 2A09 B2D3 C30F F78E      GPG: http://sam.vilain.net/sam.asc

Although Mr Chavez 'was democratically elected,' one had to bear in mind that 'Legitimacy is something that is conferred not just by a majority of the voters'" - The office of George "Dubya" Bush commenting on the Venezuelan election - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/