Process-wise swap-on/off option

From: Weber, Frank (FWeber@ndsuk.com)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 11:01:00 EST

Hello:

Is it possible to arrange that a Linux application
(or one of its threads) has the ability to

        "... lock (a certain) stack and data segment ...
        into memory so that it can't be swapped out"?

[This has been formulated as a requirement by one of
our analysts.]

I have been told that this is unlikely (except by
disabling swapout altogether (for all processes).

Any hints as to where to look for a solution (i.e.,
pointers to documentation or manuals where the ifs
and hows are explained) would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
F.P.Weber

P.S. Due to security on our mail-server i am unable to
enrol or subscribe to the news-group. Please cc me into
any replies. Thanks again.