Re: ext2 performance in 2.5.25 versus 2.4.19pre8aa2

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@zip.com.au)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 13:08:09 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 04:06:21PM +1000, Lincoln Dale wrote:
> > At 10:30 PM 14/07/2002 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > >Funny thing about your results is the presence of sched_yield(),
> > >especially in the copy-from-pagecache-only load. That test should
> > >peg the CPU at 100% and definitely shouldn't be spending time in
> > >default_idle. So who is calling sched_yield()? I think it has to be
> > >your test app?
> > >
> > >Be aware that the sched_yield() behaviour in 2.5 has changed a lot
> > >wrt 2.4. It has made StarOffice 5.2 completely unusable on a non-idle
> > >system, for a start. (This is a SO problem and not a kernel problem,
> > >but it's a lesson).
> >
> > my test app uses pthreads (one thread per disk-worker) and
> > pthread_cond_wait in the master task to wait for all workers to finish.
> > i'll switch the app to use clone() and sys_futex instead.
>
> unless you call pthread routines during the workload, pthreads cannot be
> the reason for a slowdown.

I didn't see the machine spending any time idle when I ran Lincoln's
test so I'm not sure what's going on there. But the pthread thing
is surely the reason why the profiles are showing time in sched_yield().

What I *did* see was 2.5 spending too much time doing pointless work
in readahead (it's in cache already, stop doing that!). And also
generic_file_llseek() bouncing i_sem around like a ping-pong ball.
Fixing those things up bought 10%.

> Also I would suggest Andrew to benchmark 2.4.19rc1aa2 against 2.5
> instead of plain rc1 just to be sure to compare apples to apples.
> (rc1aa2 should also be faster than pre8aa2)

Yes sorry, but I find testing -aa is a bit of a pain. It's such a
big patch, I'd really need to start a new branch for it.