Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ext3 vs Reiserfs benchmarks

From: Sam Vilain (sam@vilain.net)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 14:26:20 EST

Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer <mathieu@newview.com> wrote:

> > - there is a `dump' command (but it's useless, because it hangs when you
> > run it on mounted filesystems - come on, who REALLY unmounts their
> > filesystems for a nightly dump? You need a 3 way mirror to do it
> > while guaranteeing filesystem availability...)
> According to everybody, dump is deprecated (and it shouldn't work reliably
> with 2.4, in two words: "forget it")...

It's a shame, because `tar' doesn't save things like inode attributes and
places unnecessary load on the VFS layer. It also takes considerably
longer than dump did on one backup server I admin - like ~12 hours to back
up ~26G in ~414k inodes to a tape capable of about 1MB/sec. But that's
probably the old directory hashing thing again, there are some
reeeeaaallllllly large directories on that machine...

Ah, the joys of legacy.

--
   Sam Vilain, sam@vilain.net     WWW: http://sam.vilain.net/
    7D74 2A09 B2D3 C30F F78E      GPG: http://sam.vilain.net/sam.asc

If you think the United States has stood still, who built the largest shopping center in the world? RICHARD M NIXON - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/