Re: IDE/ATAPI in 2.5

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 00:46:17 EST

Followup to: <20020714003425.GC29007@codepoet.org>
By author: Erik Andersen <andersen@codepoet.org>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Of course making user space do this is pretty lame. But we
> have a much better way. Each cdrom device registers with the
> uniform cdrom driver, which can easily assign each registered
> cdrom device a major and minor. That scanning for cdroms would
> be as simple as
> for i in /dev/cdrom* ; do
> open ($i, O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK)) < 0) {
> /* Found a cdrom drive */
> }

Yes, something like that would be nice.

However, the case still remains that I think Linus' proposed overall
packet infrastructure is the right thing to do. That way a uniform
API would be available for poking at any device that supports MMC (is
that the correct term these days?) commands, regardless of the type
of device and the lower-level transports.

People have -- correctly -- corrected me on the "ATAPI = SCSI over
IDE" issue. When I think of SCSI, I tend to think of what a network
engineer would call "the upper data link layer", i.e. the command
packet frame format. I did not mean to imply that the physical
interface (PHY), or the lower data link layer (MAC) where the same. I
also realize that there are differences, but *from what I've seen*
they seem to be relatively minor.

I meant to start a discussion, not "call a vote", especially not
w.r.t. the lower-level implementation details.

        -hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt	<amsp@zytor.com>