Re: IDE/ATAPI in 2.5

From: Joerg Schilling (schilling@fokus.gmd.de)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 12:49:11 EST

>From: Jauder Ho <jauderho@carumba.com>

>And path_to_inst does not always do the RightThing(tm). [1] [2] Two
>systems identically configured has the potential of having path_to_inst
>look different. Especially if you have previously installed a device or
>moved stuff around. And if the expectation is that a group of devices will
>come up in a certain sequence (think shared tape devices for instance) and
>it changes, it quickly becomes a nightmare. Not a fun proposition by any
>means.

The Solaris /etc/path_to_inst method works 99.9% as expected. And important,
it is very stable in special for novice users. If you really have the problems
as described, you could alwas edit /etc/path_to_inst manually and reboot.
Please note: If you install two systems with te same hardware configuration the
same way _and_ in the same _order_, the will have an identical
/etc/path_to_inst.

If I have to decide between a mostly rock solid system and a system that always
behaves in a way that is not predictable, I would take the first one.

>[1] eg http://www.myri.com/scs/documentation/mug/installation/solaris.html

The author of this driver lacks the needed experience in writing DLPI drivers.
Although this lack of knowledge seems to be not uncommon (the FORE ATM driver
is broken too), it is possible to do it right. The ATM DLPI driver I did write
in 1995 did work correctly after I did educate me about the correct interface.
You simply need to be able to deal with the fact that instance #0 os a driver
is not present while one or more instances with instance # > 0 _are_ present.

>[2] http://www.magma.com/support/sun.htm

Looks like a similar problem as above.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1