Re: [patch 1/13] minimal rmap

From: Robert Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 15:42:41 EST

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 13:37, Rik van Riel wrote:

> I don't agree with this, for a very simple reason.
>
> The current rmap patch was created in order to change the
> VM behaviour as little as possible and ONLY provide an
> infrastructure. Benchmarking a completely untuned thing
> that was built to not change anything is bound to give
> meaningless results.
>
> I say we _use_ the infrastructure that akpm is trying to
> get merged now in order to implement something useful.

I do agree with Rik here. Once the basic rmap infrastructure is merged
we need to work on implementing stuff on top of it or else there is no
point.

If we cannot show the infrastructure is useful, then Linus will surely
rip rmap out of the kernel in time.

_pieces_) parts from Rik's full rmap patch and other VM-related code for
2.5 to see where rmap can take us...

        Robert Love