RE:Re: File Corruption in Kernel 2.4.18

From: Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 22:23:50 EST

I disagree, its a bug in bash, i can justfeel it.

- I found it hard, it was hard to find, ohwell, whatever, nevermind. Kurt Cobain.

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:11:13 -0500 Kelledin <kelledin+LKML@skarpsey.dyndns.org> wrote:

attached mail follows:

This could possibly be a problem with your hard drive. Judging
from the model number, you have a 45GB IBM DeskStar 75GXP, one
of the first IBM drives to earn the nickname "DeathStar" for its
high failure rate. What does IBM's Drive Fitness Test tell you?

I'll see about performing your test tonight; I've got a hefty
little DivX directory I can throw around as I wait for
j2sdk-1.4.0 to finish compiling. Such a test should be
sufficient...

This could also be a recurrence of ye olde VIA686B PCI+IDE issue.
IIRC, some VIA686B motherboards that had that flaw were
effectively unfixable, simply because certain motherboard
manufacturers spotted the problem before everyone else (even
VIA?) and tried their own partial kludge fixes for it. Gotta
love VIA.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"