2.4.19-rc1,2 + ext3 data=journal: data loss on unmount

From: Piggin, Nick (Nick.Piggin@cit.act.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 01:12:49 EST

Hi,
I have a PIV server with two IDE disks, one used for the filesystem, the
other for swap, external journals, and a backup directory.

All partitions are ext3 data=journal, all but the backup directory have
external journals. Please mail me for more HW info if needed and I apologise
if this has already come up (I did search the archives) or is a "known"
"feature".

I have a script which basically does the following

mount /mnt/backup
tar cvf $FILENAME directory
bzip2 $FILENAME
umount /mnt/backup

Upon remounting and inspection, the resulting bzip2 file is corrupted every
time. Adding a sync after bzip2 corrects the problem.

Thanks
Nick

PS. sorry if this mail turns out bad - I'm at work.