Re: Alright, I give up. What does the "i" in "inode" stand for?

From: yodaiken@fsmlabs.com
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 09:20:23 EST

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 09:38:57PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 06:33:54PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> > I've been sitting on this question for years, hoping I'd come across the
> > answer, and I STILL don't know what the "i" is short for. Somebody here has
> > got to know this. :)
>
> Incore node, I believe. In the original Unix code there was dinode and
> inode if I remember correctly, for disk node and incore node.

So what was that program that was used to fix file system errors called? Started
with a "d". I remembered the name up until a few years ago when I said
something about fixing filesystems with whatever it was and adb in front of Dave Miller
who seemed ready to rush me off to the museum to be exhibited in the paleology section.
Now I'm too old to even remember the name.

Victor Yodaiken
Finite State Machine Labs: The RTLinux Company.
 www.fsmlabs.com  www.rtlinux.com