Re: close return value

From: Lars Marowsky-Bree (lmb@suse.de)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 14:25:24 EST

On 2002-07-19T14:48:44,
   "Patrick J. LoPresti" <patl@curl.com> said:

> Of course, checking errors in order to handle them sanely is a good
> thing. Nobody is arguing that. What I am arguing is that failing to
> check errors when they can "never happen" is wrong.

Actually, checking for _all_ even remotely possible and checkable error
conditions (if the check doesn't incur an intolerable overhead) is a very very
important requirement for writing high quality code; even if it isn't "fault
tolerant" (because it may not know how to recover, as with the ill-defined
semantics of close() returning error), it will at least be "fail-fast"; giving
an error message close to the cause and terminate in a co-ordinated manner
before corrupting data.

It troubles me deeply that some people hacking on the Linux kernel do not
consider this a good thing.

And with that, I conclude my point and step out of the discussion for good.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@suse.de>

--
Immortality is an adequate definition of high availability for me.
	--- Gregory F. Pfister