VM wierdness in 2.5.25

From: Dan Merillat (harik@chaos.ao.net)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 15:19:45 EST

I've only got 256 meg RAM in my desktop, and it's thrashing like crazy once X
and mozilla begin leaking (1-2 meg/second each way). There's a problem,
though. While it's thrashing, there's between 100 and 120 meg of ram used as
cache, while swapping. Am I missing a tune-point? Or is there another reason
that 40% of my ram is locked as disk cache?

Also, if I swapoff right now (Obviously using less RAM in real+swap) I'll
OOM any application that's got pages in swap.

Could just be /proc/meminfo is way wrong, but I have no idea. I do know it's
way more swap-prone then late 2.4 kernels are.

CC: me, please. I read via the archives.

--Dan