Re: [2.6] Most likely to be merged by Halloween... THE LIST

From: Miles Lane (miles@megapathdsl.net)
Date: Sat Jul 20 2002 - 08:06:15 EST

On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 16:22, Dave Jones wrote:

> > > o Overhaul PCMCIA support (David Woodhouse, David Hinds)
> > Sure would be nice if it worked on desktops as well as laptops
>
> "works for me". Admittedly I've not played with pcmcia much, but it
> seems at least if you choose the right hardware it works fine.

Uh, I have seen no patches from David for this? Have I somehow
missed this?

I would dearly love to see this functionality get added. I would
also like to hear what the implementation plan is. Will the
need for /etc/pcmcia go away? Will the new code do a better job
of knowing what drivers to load without system configuration files?
How will device removal be handled? Will we still need cardctl
and cardmgr?

I just went through a process yesterday of trying to get some
PCMCIA wireless PC Card configuration. It isn't at all straightforward,
even with pcmcia-cs.

        Miles