Re: Zaptel Pseudo TDM Bus

From: Mark Spencer (markster@linux-support.net)
Date: Sun Jul 21 2002 - 14:01:23 EST

> A random question: is there any reason why Ogg isn't among the codecs?

It wasn't ready when I started. Ogg, like mp3, is generally a very poor
choice of codec for telephony, and even for the storage of files, unless
its performance has improved greatly.

On a 900 Mhz Athlon, you can get *hundreds* of simultaneous full-duplex
GSM full-rate codecs running. Certainly that's an unrealistic expectation
even for half-duplex ogg or mp3. As for using ogg as an actual telephony
protocol, its frame size is (or at least was at the time I contacted the
author) much too long to be practical. Frame sizes for VoIP should be
around 160 to 240 samples in general.

Mark