Re: [patch] "big IRQ lock" removal, 2.5.27-A1

From: Robert Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Sun Jul 21 2002 - 14:38:54 EST

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 12:14, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > This seems to have tons of stuff which makes it compile, but which is
> > just broken. Randomly changing "cli()" to "__cli()" apparently just to
> > make it compile, with no warning that its now buggy.
>
> indeed ...
>
> fixed these, and have categorized every change whether it's safe,
> known-unsafe or unknown-effect, and commented the latter two.

Good.

I have brought up a machine with a config similar but not identical to
yours and I am putting it through the paces (SMP+preempt machine). I
really think you nailed this dead on - you did it right - we just need
to clean up the mess you left behind ;)

Ingo, looking over the FIXMEs in the tty layer I think they are
definitely _broke_. At least some of these paths have no global
synchronization now. Someone really needs to go through this cruft and
clean it up and do some proper locking.

        Robert Love