Re: Zaptel Pseudo TDM Bus

From: Karim Yaghmour (karim@opersys.com)
Date: Sun Jul 21 2002 - 16:39:29 EST

Mark Spencer wrote:
> > That said, Adeos does offer what appears to be an very efficient model for
> > handling interrupts. (Caveat: I haven't tried it myself yet, much less
> > measured it, just eyeballed the code) You can load a module directly into
> > the interrupt pipeline and bypass all of Linux's interrupt machinery, even
> > bypass cli (it just sets a flag in Adeos).
>
> If someone involved with, or familiar with, this project would care to
> contact me, I'd be happy to talk about RT enabling zaptel / asterisk.

Right here :)

Any driver that needs direct access to the interrupts can use Adeos' interrupt
pipeline. Your driver's low-level operations should be fairly easy to port to
Adeos.

Since Adeos' release, such porting of code has actually been successfully
done a couple of times already. Apart from Philippe's porting of the Xenomai
interface, here's an interesting tidbit that appeared on the Adeos mailing
list:
> We managed to get a proprietary (sorry nobody's perfect) RT nanokernel
> working with ADEOS. Thus we have two different OSes working at the same
> time on the same computer thanks to ADEOS.

And yet another:
> I explored yesterday the Adeos nanokernel and was surprised by the
> possibilities and also the stability!
>
> I tested for example multiple domains having different priorities and
> installing handlers on the same interrupt which works exactly is it is
> described.
>
> I also tested snooping other interrupts (mouse/keyboard/ide0/ethernet)
> then the timer example provided in the package. (which works ofcourse
> also great)

Feel free to post any questions to Adeos' mailing list. It's been quite
active lately and I'm sure your application will interest others.

Adeos' web site is at:
http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/adeos/

If you're looking for an introduction to Adeos' functionality have a look
at the original LKML announcement:
http://lwn.net/Articles/1743/

Best regards,

Karim