Re: Alright, I give up. What does the "i" in "inode" stand for?

From: Hiten Pandya (hiten@angelica.unixdaemons.com)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 17:49:20 EST

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 06:33:54PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote the words in effect of:
> From: Rob Landley <landley@trommello.org>
> To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: Alright, I give up. What does the "i" in "inode" stand for?

> I've been sitting on this question for years, hoping I'd come across the
> answer, and I STILL don't know what the "i" is short for. Somebody here has
> got to know this. :)

The "I" in "Inode" stands for "Index". Think of it in this way, the
Inode is unique, it is the "index" by which you refer to a specific
file.

FWIW, this definition is used in many computer science texts, also in
JFS Layout paper I think. I confirmed my definition with various
sources.

> [...]

Hope this helps. Btw, this is the first time I am posting to lkml.
Thank You.

--
Hiten Pandya
http://www.unixdaemons.com/~hiten