Re: [Build Errors] kernel version 2.5.27

From: Witek Krecicki (adasi@kernel.pl)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 07:37:57 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jose Luis Domingo Lopez" <linux-kernel@24x7linux.org>
> Hi:
>
> Don't know if this can be helpful at all, but having a "powerful" (AMD XP
> 1700+, 256 MB DDR and 7200 rpm IDE disk) PC doing nothing most of the
> time, I thought it could be doing something useful for the ongoing
> development of the linux kernel. So I decided to do a full kernel compile
> (that is, a compile of the linux kernel with _all_ options enabled to be
> compiled built-in, just a few as modules, those that can't be built
> otherwise). And report errors that can happen, in the hope to unveil
> them and make maintainers aware of them, should they still aren't.
>
> .config file was created the "easy" way: going to all options shown in a
> "make menuconfig" session, enabling everything to be built-in (when
> possible), and making a second pass to check if some options were
> activated by enabling some others. The file is 2206 lines long, but is
> NOT attached, to help save bandwidth.
IMHO building everything as a module is much better in this case. Some
things are working built-in but not working as modules (eg.
probably-still-not-fixed 2.5 IDE with 2 symbols not exported properly). It
would be better to build everything as a module and then check it with
depmod so any unresolved deps could be shown
WK