Re: Funding GPL projects or funding the GPL?

From: Gerhard Mack (gmack@innerfire.net)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 22:02:40 EST

On 26 Jul 2002, Federico Ferreres wrote:

> All we'll need is discussion of pro/cons and whoever likes the pros more
> can fGPL. After 4 or 5 core apps fGPL, everyone will want to fGPL and
> get some money to pay the expenses and hard work they are doing.

This isn't even possible for the kernel nor is it possible for any GPL
app. If you want this you will need to start from scratch since "fGPL"
would not be compatable with GPL you would need to get every last person
who submitted a patch to relicence.

I just don't see the point of trying to argue for what is essentially an
imposibillity and that's even if everyone here agrees to it.

        Gerhard

PS There is something to be had here that is better than money.. it's a
chance to read and learn from the best. I'm not kernel level yet but I do
contribute to other projects. I learn a lot just by reading and one day I
hope to have code good enough to be slammed by Alan Cox, Al Viro or even
Linus himself ;)

--
Gerhard Mack

gmack@innerfire.net

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.