Re: 2.4.19.rc3 vs 2.4.17

From: Adrian Bunk (bunk@fs.tum.de)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 14:41:03 EST

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, kees wrote:

> Hi
> I ran 2.4.19rc3 but my feeling is: Netscape 6.2 and (KDE3) Konqueror
> showed a high number of spontaneous crashes. 256MB Ram xosview shows a few

You say Netscape and Konqueror crash significantely more often when
running 2.4.19-rc3 compared to running the same applications under 2.4.17?

Let's try to track it down:
- Do only Netscape/Konqueror crash or does X crash or does the whole
  computer crash?
- Is there any error message when the browsers crash, if yes which?
- Are there any suspicious messages in /var/log/syslog or
  /var/log/messages that might help in tracking this down?
- Is your 2.4.17 a plain ftp.kernel.org kernel or a kernel shipped by your
  distribution?
- Do you apply any patches to your kernels?
- Do you ever load non-free kernel modules like e.g. the one from NVidia?
  If yes, are your problems reproducible if no non-free modules were
  _ever_ loaded since the last reboot?
- Is there anything "special" or unusual with your machine (is it a
  laptop, root filesystem is on NFS or XFS, unusual hardware,...)?

> Kees

cu
Adrian

--

You only think this is a free country. Like the US the UK spends a lot of time explaining its a free country because its a police state. Alan Cox