Re: Looking for links: Why Linux Doesn't Page Kernel Memory?

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 20:56:08 EST

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

> Feasible database workloads on 32-bit machines running mainline kernels
> seem to run with between 50% and 90% of physical memory consumed by
> process pagetables and severe restrictions on the number of clients
> that attempt to connect. When larger proportions of memory are consumed
> by process pagetables, kernel deadlock often ensues.

Even with 50% of memory in pagetables, I wouldn't be happy.

If I fork out the money for a machine with 16 GB of RAM, I'd
expect the thing to be able to at least cache 12 GB of my
database. Wasting all of memory in page tables just isn't
allright ;)

Gerrit told me some people within IBM are working on large
page support for shared memory segments and mmap()d areas,
I hope it'll be good enough to get accepted into 2.5 soon...

regards,

Rik