Re: [rfc] aio-core for 2.5.29 (Re: async-io API registration for 2.5.29)

From: Benjamin LaHaise (bcrl@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 13:01:12 EST

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 09:30:04AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Absolutely. I think "jiffies64" is fine (as long as is it converted to
> some "standard" time-measure like microseconds or nanoseconds so that
> people don't have to care about internal kernel state) per se.

Hmmm, it almost sounds like implementing clock_gettime as a syscall and
exporting jiffies as CLOCK_MONOTONIC is the way to go, as that gives a
nanosecond resolution export of jiffies. Then, it would make sense to
use that as the basis for "when" timeouts. Relative timeouts still have
a certain simplicity to them that is appealing, though.

                -ben

--
"You will be reincarnated as a toad; and you will be much happier."