Re: IDE hang, partition strangeness

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@zip.com.au)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 12:58:18 EST

Petr Vandrovec wrote:

Hi, Petr. We're able to reproduce the ntpd thing btw. It is
caused by cset 1.403.142.43 "avoid allocating pte_chains for unshared
pages" - Rik is looking into it.

> On 1 Aug 02 at 23:56, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > >
> > > Seems that the partitioning code in 2.5.30 is sending illegal LBAs
> > > to the IDE driver, which responds by hanging the box:
> >
> > I misread this backtrace:
> >
> > _this_ is the lba. 160086527. It is the very last sector on the disk.
>
> Did not it issued an error on the console before that? Something
> like 'hda: xxxx: status=YY' ?

There are no error messages.

> If it did, just open
> drivers/ide/ide.c in your favorite editor, locate function ata_error,
> in this function locate 'if (rq->errors >= ERROR_MAX)' and replace
> it with 'if (1)'...

Tried that - it made no difference.

It'd be convenient to get my IDE disks back. I'll try the 2.4
forward-port drivers.