Re: Funding GPL projects or funding the GPL?

From: David Schwartz (davids@webmaster.com)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 15:57:49 EST

>But something is wrong with this. If I donate then it's no longer free.
>And only if you never donate then you can call it free. Efectively, that
>means that to get to a certain level of funding donators have pay 99
>times the amount that would otherwise be needed if everyone contributed.

        The GPL explains your misunderstanding:

When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not
price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you
have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for
this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it
if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it
in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things.

        Free software is about freedom, not about pricing.

        DS