Re: 2.4.19 make allmodconfig - undefined symbols

From: Adrian Bunk (bunk@fs.tum.de)
Date: Sun Aug 04 2002 - 10:02:33 EST

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Keith Owens wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Aug 2002 14:35:13 +0200,
> Willy Tarreau <willy@w.ods.org> wrote:
> >On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 08:13:20PM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
> >> 2.4.19 make allmodconfig. Besides the perennial drivers/net/wan/comx.o
> >> wanting proc_get_inode, there was only one undefined symbol. In the
> >> extremely unlikely event that binfmt_elf is a module (how do you load
> >> modules when binfmt_elf is a module?), smp_num_siblings is unresolved.
> >
> >I also get an unresolved reference to __io_virt_debug in misc.o:puts()
> >when building bzImage. If you don't get it, it means that my tree is
> >corrupted.
>
> Neither. It is a problem with CONFIG_DEBUG_IOVIRT which allmod and
> allyesconfig turn on. My builds stop at vmlinux and do not build
> bzImage so I did not detect this problem. The outb_p calls in misc.c
> need fixing for CONFIG_DEBUG_IOVIRT=y, or force CONFIG_DEBUG_IOVIRT=n.

More exactly it's a problem that only occurs with CONFIG_MULTIQUAD
enabled. The thread starting with [1] contains a discussion of this bug
and the patch used to fix it in 2.5.

cu
Adrian

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=102079707313304&w=2

--

You only think this is a free country. Like the US the UK spends a lot of time explaining its a free country because its a police state. Alan Cox