Re: [OT] 2.4.19 BUG in page_alloc.c:91

From: Andreas Steinmetz (ast@domdv.de)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 07:19:48 EST

On 08 Aug 2002 13:38:56 +0100 Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

Rik and Alan,
not exactly related but please don't be too persistent about "Tainted: P".
Just try to insmod xircom_tulip_cb of a stock 2.4.19 kernel and, surprise:

# insmod xircom_tulip_cb
Using /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/net/pcmcia/xircom_tulip_cb.o
Warning: loading
/lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/net/pcmcia/xircom_tulip_cb.o will taint the
kernel: non-GPL license - GPL v2

The result of trying to load the module even with no card inserted results
in "Tainted: P" (modutils-2.4.14).

As long as the current stock kernel isn't completely compliant to the new
rules (e.g. drivers/net/pcmcia/xircom_tulip_cb.c) and as long as it cannot
be assumed that everybody is running the latest modutils it should not be
assumed that anybody has loaded a proprietary module by default.

That's no criticism of the nvidia handling (I don't own such a card), it is
more the new "P=must be proprietary" attitude I don't exactly like.