Re: ext3 journal/IDE problems ?

From: Hui (billh@gnuppy.monkey.org)
Date: Fri Aug 09 2002 - 23:19:41 EST

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 11:09:38AM -0400, Greg Fitzgerald wrote:
> I have been having problems with ext3 hardlocking while in X and in
> Console. Symptom one is while in console moving large ammounts of data
> around between partions it will hardlock. Symptom two is sometimes I
> will leave my computer for a few minutes (on a very rar occasion :P )
> when i return x is hardlocked. Was running XFS and Resierfs before I
> tried ext3 and never had these problems. Any information I can provide
> let me know.

I use to get those hard locks, but I wasn't sure if was my hardware or
the kernel using preempt. After using 2.5.30 for a while, those lock ups
went away, but the progression to this bug happen first with a scheduler
crash in the TCP/IP stack being triggered and then after that application of
Mingo's patch (from a previous email) that fixed the crashes, it started
to trigger ext3 assertions.

It's a very strange bug. Not sure what to say about it.

bill