Re: The spam problem.

From: Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@zmailer.org)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 03:42:58 EST

  Good morning,

Please refrain from fights on email issues while I am asleep..
DaveM is in California, I am in Finland. About 9-10 hours
time difference there. (depending on our personal rythms, also.)

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 07:00:46AM +0200, Dhr N. Van Alphen wrote:
> cause there would be many non-members who wanna post bugs but can't because
> they dont have access maybe?
>
> I suggest too block every email adres wich sends crap, easy done.

 Consider:
    - Number of faked source addresses
    - Number of cases using somebody's address
    - Number of throw-away addresses
    - How many times they use HOTMAIL/YAHOO/EMAIL/MAIL/... addresses ?

  I think I will stick to the (weakish) method of matching texts in
  message body (and sometimes on headers)..

  I just reviewed Majordomo's BOUNCE log. It is bouncing (into oblivion)
  practically every posting from HOTMAIL (because of Received: header
  text: "from mail pickup service", which appears also in a number of
  looped messages..)

  Over past 3 days Majordomo has trapped ONE of those money-scam
  letters. A lot more of various other spams have been blocked.
  Messages with HTML content don't make it into VGER at all, which
  should give a very big clue to legitimate posters making a mistake
  of posting such.

  I am very worried of trapping too much. A bit of leakage is (to me)
  accptable, but similar amounts of falsely trapped ones I don't like.

  I also receive so much spam directly, that I don't always detect every
  instance when it is leaking thru VGER's lists. If you want to raise
  the attention of VGERs postmasters, I suggest you forward it to:

              postmaster@vger.kernel.org

  with subject: "leaked spam"

  Also, in case of non-english spam, I would like to receive suggestions
  for PERL RE patterns matching juicy keywords in the messages.
  (To me Chinese or Russian texts are just line noise...)

> Niek van alphen
> mastex@servicez.org

/Matti Aarnio