Re: 2.5.31: modules don't work at all

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 12:22:16 EST

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Yes, that's the problem. qm_symbols() is performing copy_to_user()
> inside lock_kernel() and that's an "atomic copy_to_user()" in 2.5.31.
> But only if preempt is selected. The copy_to_user() doesn't work.
>
> There's nothing illegal about copy_to_user() inside lock_kernel().
>
> Linus, we can back out the preempt_count() test in there and
> perform the atomic copy_*_user via a current->flags bit, or
> we can do something else?

Since I'm actually hoping that the kernel lock goes away some day, and I
don't want to pollute the stuff that I hope will _not_ go away, I'd prefer
a slightly different approach, namely make kernel_lock() special from a
preempt_count() angle.

In particular, we already "sort" the preemtion count bits according to
just how atomic we are, and lock_kernel is certainly "less atomic" than a
spinlock. So the logical thing to do (I think) is to just make that more
explicit, and make lock_kernel use the low bit of preempt_count, and make
regular spinlocks do a "+= 2" instead of a "+= 1".

That way preempt_count() gives you a much better picture of what the state
of this process is (the name "preempt_count" really gives the wrong notion
these days, since it's really much more generic and is already used for
things that have little to do with preemption any more)

Robert, mind looking into this?

                        Linus