Re: question about BSD license vs. GPL

From: David Schwartz (davids@webmaster.com)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 14:11:05 EST

        The only possible conflict I can imagine is that your license says:

>* 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>* 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>* documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

        Whereas, the GPL says:

  1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's
source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you
conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate
copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the
notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty;
and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License
along with the Program.

        And does not permit you to impose additional restrictions. It's not clear
that having a "list of conditions" other than the GPL that cannot be removed
is permitted. However, if you can construe your "list of conditions" as a
copyright notice or disclaimer of warranty (which is sort of what it is),
then I think there's no problem.

        DS