can't use 2.4 on my 486 server

From: Jacek Popławski (jpopl@interia.pl)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 05:35:44 EST

I use 2.4 kernel for a long time on my workstations, but can't use it on old
486 server with 16MB RAM. 2.2 works there without problems (for a long time).
But few hours after running 2.4.19 server is unreachable. When I connect
monitor/keyboard and start it again I see fsck starting then:

Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address db9910c0

(...)

Kernel panic: aiee, killing interrupt handler.

I've tried 2.4.18 and earlier versions before. Always same problem. There is
fsck 1.22 and glibc-2.2.3 there - standard Slackware 8.0 distribution which
works on other computers.

What should I check? What should i try to change there? What more info can I
give you (is it important to rewrite full kernel message with all registers?) ?

jp@darkstar:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 4