Re: ide-2.4.19-ac4.11.patch, late but stable

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 02:01:52 EST

Greetings Markus,

It is a fair question of which I do not have a nice answer.
I am working on fresh atapi-packet-generic engine but it is not a joy.
There are oddities like bus-phases or bus-states which their setup and
feeding of the DMA engine requires a more eligant hammer.

As much as I hate to concept of a DMA mempool, it looks like the direction
to follow. Games such as HOST<>DEVICE || feast<>famine of buffer streams
appear to be the norm to push vast amounts of atapi-dma. The alternative
is to have device level request queues and have the queues carry the SG or
PRD list for that portion.

I am open to suggestions for direction.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick