Re: IDE?

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 19:06:19 EST

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I actually don't think it's the people as much as it is the ridiculous
> linkages inside ide.c and the hugely complicated rules. The code is messy.

Note: it _is_ the people too, don't get me wrong. But in other areas we
have people like Al Viro, who can drive grown men to cry (and drink) with
his not-very-polite postings. And in those areas it hasn't been a huge
problem, even though some people probably take a valium or two before they
dare open emails from Al.

So the messiness and interconnectedness of the IDE layer just seems to
bring the people problem to a sharp and ugly point. The absolute lack of
communication skills wrt IDE among the people who have worked on it has
been stunning, and that probably _is_ because the code is so hard to even
talk about.

                Linus