Re: [kbuild-devel] Re: [patch] config language dep_* enhancements

From: Sam Ravnborg (sam@ravnborg.org)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 15:30:44 EST

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 07:27:50PM +1000, Greg Banks wrote:
> I'm not optimistic that a switch to a new language or even a new
> parser for the old language will ever happen.
I asked Linus specifically about the replacement of the shell based parsers.
The answer were quite simple:
- It should be convinient to use a new parser.
        - Fast compilation, no errors etc.
It's doable.

> In http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=101387128818052&w=2
> David Woodhouse gives an idea of what would be necessary to get a new
> language+parser accepted. Can you achieve that yet?
David suggest to use randomly generated configurations, but they lack
one important feature. They are always valid, and a new system shall be
able to deal with hand-edited .config files in the same way as oldconfig.

        Sam