Disabling frame buffer

From: David Madore (david.madore@ens.fr)
Date: Sat Aug 24 2002 - 03:17:43 EST

Hi.

Suppose I compiled a kernel (2.4.19) with graphical frame buffer
support (Radeon, to be precise, but I don't suppose it matters), and
suppose I decide I really want to boot in plain ol' text mode (80x25
with no embellishments and no penguin logo) just for once. Is there
some way I can do this (other than recompiling the same kernel but
without this frame buffer support)?

Before someone suggests this, I did try passing vga=259 as an option,
but that doesn't change anything, it still switches to graphic mode
sometime later in the boot process. Initially the log says

Console: colour VGA+ 80x25

and later it changes its mind,

radeonfb: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=12, xclk=16600 from BIOS
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
radeonfb: ATI Radeon 7500 QW DDR SGRAM 64 MB
radeonfb: DVI port no monitor connected
radeonfb: CRT port CRT monitor connected
vga16fb: initializing
vga16fb: mapped to 0xc00a0000
fb1: VGA16 VGA frame buffer device

I know it's a bit silly to insist on getting a plain text mode, and
even sillier not to want to just recompile, but I'd still appreciate
some help here.

Thanks,

--
     David A. Madore