Re: [RFC] make localconfig

From: Thunder from the hill (thunder@lightweight.ods.org)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 08:03:34 EST

Hi,

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, Toon van der Pas wrote:
> > If you think it's a _deadly_bad_idea_to_do_ please tell me. It is,
> > after all, just an RFC, means I request you to comment on this.
> > I could even ask for kernel protection for the mice.
>
> A serious question about your proposal then:
> The .config file doesn't excusively contain information regarding
> what hardware to support. It also carries a lot of information about
> the functionality and the optimzations the user wishes to incorporate
> in his kernel. How would localconfig deal with that?

Well, the idea is to
 - scan the kernel messages for things that got loaded
 - figure the hardware configuration
 - figure out guessable optimizations
 - use the default values for the rest

I don't want to decide between "y" and "n". That would go wrong. The only
thing is that there *should* be a decision on whether the support is vital
for boot or not, if not we compile as module.

This statement is not valid for debug options, though...

> BTW: Considering that you are not out of your mind (most of the
> time), I admire your courage in bringing up this subject. ;-)

I wonder whether that's a good thing...

                        Thunder

--